In 1891 Scoonie Golf course started when wives of the members who played over Leven Link expressed an interest in playing golf. In that era there was no possibility of the ladies being given playing rights on the Links so a piece of land adjacent to the Scoonie burn was acquired and had a nine hole course built known as the Leven Ladies. This course was extended to twelve holes the following year and then at a later date to fifteen holes. This continued until April 1932 when Leven Town Council took it over as a Municipal golf course open to any players.

In early 1936 an additional 67.5 acres was acquired on the high ground to the south east of the town and James Braid, who originated from Earlsferry, came up from Walton Heath to bring his golfing design prowess to the fairly tight acreage. A year later, on the first of May 1937, the new course, measuring 5310 yards, was opened by the Provost with a mixed fourball match between well known amateurs being the first round played on the new layout
In 1951 a group of players formed a club and in March 1952 a meeting of the adult (Aged 16+) male members of the course was held for the purpose of formalising this Club which was named as Scoonie Golf Club with officials appointed to form the Committee and run the Club. Their first action was to join the Scottish Golf Union so that Members could get officially recognised and controlled handicaps thus enabling the Members to play on courses where this was a requirement for playing. In order to do this they had to employ a professional golfer to play the course and set the Standard Scratch to be used in handicap adjustments. The Committee then looked at scores returned by the Members and voted on a suitable handicap for each.

There continued to be separate ladies and men’s clubs using the course until 1963/4 when the ladies left the course and the men took over the small clubhouse previously used by the ladies but in 1982 Kirkcaldy District Council demolished this clubhouse and built new locker rooms, toilets, showers and a Starter’s office which served the course until the Club financed the addition of a lounge, bar and kitchen in 1985.

In February 2010 the Club AGM passed a motion to admit ladies to join the Club on the same basis as the men and, in April 2011 the course became part of the Fife Golf Trust who, in the first quarter of 2015, refurbished the building to modernise the facilities and add a professional shop.

Over the years the course has been lengthened to 5494 yards and there is a continual programme of development for the course to ensure that it continues to meet modern requirements. Scoonie Golf Club is proud to be a member of the Association of James Braid Courses with the course and clubhouse open to visitors and visiting parties all year round. 

Our Partners